Friday, April 24, 2009

Omega Speedmaster Professional

Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch pictureOmega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch picture
Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch picture
I mentioned in my first post I would feature this watch and here it is. Behold, the Omega Speedmaster Professional chronograph, also known as the “Moon Watch”. I love the look and the history behind this beautiful timepiece. This particular watch belongs to a friend of mine, which I have gotten to wear and experience and I have to say, it is an amazing watch. It is a 42mm that features a manual-winding chronograph movement, hesalite crystal, solid case back and is water resistant up to 50m. However, there is a variation with sapphire crystal and a transparent case back, which is the 3573.50 model. Aside from precision and reliability, the history of this watch is what makes it truly special.

NASA had taken several different chronograph watches to see which one would be suitable for its astronauts on their space missions. These watches had to stand up to rigorous tests that included passing grades for extreme shocks, vibrations, and temperatures ranging from -18 to +93 degrees Celsius. After undergoing two years of extensive tests, in 1965, NASA declared that the Omega Speedmaster Professional chronograph was officially "flight-qualified by NASA for all manned space missions". As a result, on July 21, 1969, the Omega Speedmaster Professional became the first watch to ever be worn on the Moon, hence earning the nickname, “Moon Watch”. Omega watch reference: 3570.50.00

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Watch did you take these photos of this time piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. excuse me but would you happen to have the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend, who owns the watch, and I took the pictures at his house with a light box. Do you have a favorite watch you would like to have posted? If so, please let me know... Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete