Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TAG Heuer Carrera: why go fake?

TAG Heuer Carrera watch pictureI think any watch lover can recall a time where they encountered a fake or replica watch; they might even have a story behind it. I was reading an article on a watch blog I enjoy following, Fratellowatches.com, I saw that there is an anti-counterfeiting campaign named “Fake watches are for fake people” launched by Haute Horlogerie and the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry, which I too, sincerely support. After reading this, I remembered a similar situation I was in when I came across a man wearing a fake TAG Heuer Carrera chronograph. Even worse than buying the replica watch, the man was acting as if it were the real deal. One night my girlfriend and I went out for dinner and a movie. As we were sitting in the theater, waiting for the movie to start, I noticed a younger couple in front of us. Assuming from the conversation I would say this was their first date. I noticed a TAG Heuer Carrera chronograph with the black dial on the man’s wrist. The girl he was with must have noticed his watch as well because, not even three minutes later, he started telling her how much he spent and how he obtained the watch.

As I was listening to the elaborate story he was telling his date, I noticed some discrepancies with the watch. Sitting behind him, of to the side, I was in a perfect position to see the face of the watch. I noticed that that the two white dials on top of each other were a lot smaller than normal. In fact, they should appear bigger than the dial on the left, but instead they were the same size. In addition, the hash marks at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions were the same size as the others. On a real TAG Carrera, those hash marks are shorter. At that moment, I thought to myself, “Is this guy wearing a fake TAG Heuer and pretending it is real, just to impress his date?” I thought the deception had ended, but then came my final confirmation that this guy was wearing a fake watch. He told her that he paid over $4,000 for the watch. She might have been impressed, because now she thinks he has money, but I know that a TAG Heuer Carrera chronograph retails for $3,200. The picture I have displayed is the what the real model looks like. As I said before, I do not condone buying a replica of any brand. I would not feel comfortable going out somewhere and having someone compliment me on my watch, knowing that it is not real.

5 comments:

  1. Now that is one sad fellow! How did you manage to keep yourself in control? Wearing a fake is bad enough, but trying to impress others with it and lying about it, that's really sad.

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad! I figured his lies will come back around to him one day. Also, I didn't want to ruin his date, she seemed out of his league :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story. You are a nice guy not to call him on it in front of his date :-)

    Nice blog, too. Just stumbled across it and added it to my RSS reader!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah ...
    I was given a Breitling in return for my Burberry Endurance. I never dreamed that a friend of mine would give something fake. I opened up the back - ALL plastic quartz. I smashed it. It's like a disease. Told a jeweller one day about the story, and he said that he'd be back shortly as he needed to buy a compound bow across the road (at this friend's archery store) I asked what he'd ordered, and he said a Hoyt Compound. I told him that since that watch incident, I have been looking for a buyer for mine. He asked to have a look at it, so I went home and fetched it. I was willing to give it to him at half the price that Jaco was selling it at, as I was looking to get a new watch. He asked whether I'd trade it for a watch. I jokingly said, "yeah, sure ... for a TAG." So he did. I now have a genuine TAG Pilot (a bit old, I know) - but I'd rather wear a cheap Fossil than an expensive fake. I have become a TAG-lover of NOTE since then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look tag sucks anyways, fake or real, so if you have a real tag your still a loser

    ReplyDelete